Standards of Practice
1. I will respect the right of my clients to truthful,
2. I will respect the right of my clients to dignity.
3. I will not turn away clients on discriminatory criteria such as race, gender, sexual orientation, body type,
culture, religion or HIV status.
4. I must turn away clients who present with contraindications to massage and refer them back to a
qualified health professional, but will do so with respect.
5. I will turn away any client who displays disregard for my own dignity,
or that of any of my other clients.
6. I will respect the right of my clients to (confidentiality),information shared with
me will not divulged to any other client or third
party unless I have specific permission to do so.
7. I will not have sex with a client, so please don't even ask.
8. Clients will not be made to remove more clothing than is necessary for the massage routine requested.
I do make use of draping as and when required.
9. Full body massage usually includes breasts, however, I will not include them if you are not comfortable with that.
10. I will not massage any part of a client without their permission.
11. I will provide a clean, safe environment and make use of clean and safe equipment.
12. I will perform only those services for which I am trained.
13. I will not make false claims of the benefits of massage and I will inform my clients as to
the benefits and contraindications of massage.
14. I will maintain clear open lines of communication with clients. Please ask if there is anything you would like to know,
or have me do, etc.
15. I will strive for professional excellence.
16. I do massage minor children, but not without a parent/guardian being present. The law
states that a child over the age of 14 may give consent without the
aid of a parent or guardian. However, I would certainly not allow
anybody under the age of 16 to come without their parent/guardian
and I will not allow anybody under the age of 18 to come without the
knowledge of their parents/guardian.
17. If you start to display an unhealthy emotional attachment to me (transference) I am obliged to end the business relationship, and refer you to another massage therapist, and/or counselling.